Black German Shepherd barking can sometime become a big problem for the owner and also for people who live around them. You can not complain about it as dogs are meant to bark, that is their way of communicating, but you can control it by following few techniques.
There are few main reasons of excessive German shepherd barking:
- It might be in their breed, some German shepherds find barking a reward to themself, it helps them burn their excessive energy and satisfies their inner self.
- German shepherds are territory protectors, so when a stranger enters or is close to their territory they start barking.
- Sometimes they bark when they are startled.
- They bark when they are happy and playing, along with wagging their tail in excitement.
- Sometimes German shepherds bark when they need attention of their owners.
- Separation anxiety is also a thing among German shepherds, and when they feel this way they start barking.
Punishing or shouting at your German shepherd will never help in making him stop barking excessively. One should teach their German shepherd to bark on command, this will help solve the problem.
You need to start with teaching your dog the ‘speak’ and ‘quiet’ command.
To teach the ‘speak’ command, follow the steps below:
- Get your dog excited. Throw his toy, jump up and down or make barking noises. The point here is to get him over-the-top excited.
- Once your dog is barking open and close your hand, this is your hand signal. Do this while saying the word ‘speak’.
- Mark and reward each time your your dog barks.
Once your dog understand this, the next step is not to reward for more than one bark at a time. Mark and reward is important to show him you only want one bark.
After you have mastered the ‘speak’ command, now teach your German Shepherd the ‘quiet’ command. For that do the following steps:
- Follow the same steps by getting your dog excited and revved up. This will make him bark.
- Once your dog is barking put your open hand just in front of his nose. Now say the word ‘quiet’ in a firm but kind voice.
- The second your dog stops barking mark and reward his behavior.
This way your dog will quickly learn that when you make a specific signal and it means to become quiet.